GPS OnOff

Jul/09
gps_onoff_icon Current version: 1.3.0
Price: FREE
DOWNLOAD

Description:

Simple GPS toggle widget (1×1).

Allows you On/Off your GPS state with only 1 click instead of 4.

Available on the Market

What’s new in v1.3.0:

- 1 click toggle

OLD APK’s:

GPS OnOff [v1.1.0]

GPS OnOff [v1.0.2]

Filed under: Widgets
Comments (82) Trackbacks (4)
  1. Hero
    3:32 PM on July 20th, 2009

Hello, I am trying to do a switch app, and I got everything well for wifi, plane mode and bluetooth, and I figured how to show the GPS settings. But how do you detect that the GPS has been enabled or disabled ? I could not figure a proper intent. Please give me advice

2. Hobosic
    10:05 PM on August 2nd, 2009

Ugh, I liked! So clear and positively.
    Hobosic

3. dpds
    8:09 PM on August 4th, 2009

it keeps force closing all the time, really annoying :(

4. Axle
    7:11 PM on August 6th, 2009

I agree, it _constantly_ force closes, for me it’s not yet usable. Looking forward to when this gets fixed.

5. Jouva
    9:49 PM on August 16th, 2009

Thanks for finding a “work around” to One Click. However it appears that this doesn’t work unless GPS was already on at boot time on a G1. If the GPS is OFF when you first boot, the system will REPORT that the GPS is on but it doesn’t appear to actually get used.

6. mario
    5:09 PM on August 18th, 2009

Hi, I’m using the GPS widget v.1.1.1 in my Magic 32a. The one-click way is faulty here. The GPS switched on in this way is usually not detected by the applications (like google maps or car navigation software).

Thanks for your efforts!

Vladimir Baryshnikov Reply:

Mario, can you try to restart GPS manually through the Settings, and then try from widget.

7. mario
    4:44 PM on August 19th, 2009

Restarting the GPS from the settings fixed the problem with your widget, but it doesn’t look so robust as mechanism. Some times, during my attempt ON/OFF/ON/OFF with the widget, it stucks in the dark-green state.

8. ted
    10:15 PM on August 19th, 2009

I am using htc Magic with 1.5 firmware.

I can Add your “Brightness Level” on “Application”, but I can’t find any other applications from “Widget” or other menu, even though I downloaded all of your widget switchs. Would you mind to help me fix it.

Hello Ted.

If you can’t find it from : http://curvefish.com/howto/activate-widgets-on-android.htm
    Try to re install widget. Do you use default home screen?

9. The G.
    4:35 PM on September 14th, 2009

Hi,

Why do you need to restart wifi or bt? Why don’t you just start/stop GPS?

Thx for the info

The G.

10. Bob Wolfe
    7:51 PM on September 24th, 2009

These widgets are really nice. They look great and overall perform well. Brightness Level was definitely worth a donation from me. But I had a problem with this particular widget. Number 1, the widget never showed up in my “apps drawer,” but it was available as a widget from the home screen. I thought that was weird. Number 2, for some reason, I realized after about a week, that this widget was responsible for the android market downloading issues I was experiencing. I couldn’t download anything from the market unless I restarted the damn the phone. I uninstalled this widget and voila, download issues solved. Maybe it was just me, but I thought I’d let you know. However, I appreciate all your good work on these widgets. Thanks.

Hello Bob
    1. If we put every of our widget in Launcher it will mess it. When we put our Brightness Level to launcher, we get a lot of letters from peoples asking us to remove it.
    2. Actually a lot of reasons can made market to not download apps. Just google for it, and you will see that a lot of people have this problems, they even never installed our gps widget. It just some troubles with market or services.

11. John Holder
    12:03 PM on October 6th, 2009

I really like your toggle widgets.

Could you make a Caller ID toggle widget?

Usually I leave Caller ID on but occasionally I use hide and then forget to turn it back on…

A widget on the home page that showed Caller ID status and allowed you to change it before making a call would be really useful and much quicker!

Menu settings are:

Home > Settings > Additional Call Settings > Caller ID > Show Number = ON

Home > Settings > Additional Call Settings > Caller ID > Hide Number = OFF

Thanks

12. Michael
    7:43 PM on November 10th, 2009

Your widgets are great. Most of them work great on Android 2.0 except this one. The toggle just dosn’t seem to work. I end up having to use the settings button as shortcut to the screen where i can turn the gps on and off. I can’t wait for and update of this that will work on Android 2 and the Droid. Great job on everything else though.

13. GaryA
    11:11 AM on November 26th, 2009

I’m using your Bluetooth and GPS OnOff widgets on a Samsung Moment (Android v1.5) and noticed that the GPS widget doesn’t always track the on/off settings when they are changed in the phone’s settings menu. The Bluetooth widget works fine in this respect.

I don’t know if this is related, but when I toggle the GPS widget, you can see the Bluetooth widget turn off then back on. I’m a developer so I’m guessing you created the GPS widget from the same base of code for another widget (such as the Bluetooth one), but didn’t change something before you compiled the code.

Thanks for an extremely useful set of apps. If you fix this I’ll be more than happy to make a donation towards your efforts.

Hello GaryA
    No, everything ok with code, the problem is that android don’t have intent for gps. That’s why you need to monitor it constantly for changes which will eat battery alot or change status just when you click on it. We don’t monitor gps toggle for changes to keep battery charge.

14. Ed
    8:13 AM on December 13th, 2009

I have a HTC Hero (Sprint) and was wondering how to open the settings for the GPS OnOff app. The app’s settings opened when I first ran the program but I can’t figure out how to open them again. I’m new to my phone so I may be over looking some gesture.

15. Alegad Silva
    6:57 AM on January 24th, 2010

I really love you widgets but this GPS on/off has a problem I have the moto droid version 2 and the widget does not work in one-click mode I’ll push it and nothing happens could you fix this please and thank you for getting the bluetooth widget to work for moto droid.

16. Alegad Silva
    7:02 AM on January 24th, 2010

okay well the GPS widget works with the wifi selected but not the bluetooh please fix this

17. Michiel
    5:09 PM on February 4th, 2010

I wonder what wifi or bluetooth has to do with gps.

I’m using a Motorola Milestone. This button will sometimes get stuck on an intermediate mode and refuse to respond again.

Other than that (and the non-working sync toggle button), I like your widgets. :-) (I will donate when I have a full set working.)

18. Colin Brace
    12:11 AM on March 24th, 2010

Thanks for a very useful applet.

One comment: the widget doesn’t work properly on my HTC Legend (Android 2.1). It doesn’t react to a tap and the on/off settings aren’t always updated when they are changed in the phone’s settings menu. Via a shortcut the screen, the program works fine. Hope you can get the widget fixed.

Hello Colin.
    It’s not get updates, because android don’t have any broadcasts for that. You can check that even original system control widget not get updates.

19. Evan Nelson
    3:36 AM on May 28th, 2010

GPS is very useful specially the ones that are put on the Car dashboard. it can really help you drive on unfamiliar places.,”.

20. Timo
    8:02 PM on July 9th, 2010

Hello,

I have a problem with the GPS widget. On my Sony Xperia X10 the widget without the switch is displayed and a click on this opens the settings page of android system. So this is only a shortcut. Can you explain me this behavior?
    I just donate this widget, because I hope that this is a limitation, but this change nothing.

Thanks for your help,
    Greetings Timo

Vladimir Baryshnikov Reply:

GPS widget will be updated soon

21. Savannah Scott
    7:26 AM on July 21st, 2010

GPS is really needed for vehicles and also for some recreational purposes like in camping if you do not want to get lost.,”.

22. Flemming
    2:28 AM on July 24th, 2010

Any chance for a caller id show/hide widget?. I could really use on for my line of work, instead of turning it on and off manually several times a day.

Thanks

23. Dan Clark
    10:01 PM on July 24th, 2010

1-Click root mode does not work on rooted Froyo builds. It prevents the stock power control widget from working until the phone has been completely rebooted. Can this be looked into. Thank you very much.

24. desire
    9:36 PM on August 13th, 2010

Hi
    This doesn’t work on desire and froyo anymore. Force to close.

25. KenM
    8:53 PM on August 24th, 2010

Since my Moto Droid updated to Android 2.2 this widget has stopped working…
    Attempting to use it to switch between on and off on the GPS does nothing… The widget moves to the interim position and acts like it is switching the wi fi on/off (1Click) but then it returns to the original position… I have even gone back to settings and it will not let me switch from there either… Acts like it switches but when you reopen settings it is still in original condition.

I will fix it soon. If you don’t want to wait, check our OnOff Widgets Pack

26. treqq
    1:45 PM on August 26th, 2010

Hi,

I’m using both OnOff Widgets Pack and GPS OnOFF :))

but since I’ve upgraded to Froyo (2.2), the GPS activation with one click does’t work anymore… :(((
    neither using OnOFF Widgets Pack ( by clicking the GPS activation page is open, but the GPS is not activated directly as well as wifi, bluetooth..)
    nor using the GPS OnOFF ( crash if click…)

I’ve an HTC desire

this is the only problem, great application in any case :))

a question:
    If I sent you some icon …. would you implement a new skin with them? :))

27. Guggenmusiker
    4:32 PM on September 4th, 2010

Many thanks for this cool GPS Widget! I like the one click (root) mode. It does work fine on the Samsung Galaxy S with Android 2.1 (Firmware JM1). One little thing I don’t like is the jumping icon when I switch from on to off or off to on. It looks like there is one or two pixel difference between the images. The on and neutral image are the same, but the off image is a little bit lower then the other two. Is it possible to fix this little issue?

28. William Moore
    12:37 PM on September 6th, 2010

GPS are very useful on day to day travel if you do not want to get lost’,`

29. me
    9:30 PM on September 8th, 2010

Since froyo, this useful app is busted.

Vladimir Baryshnikov Reply:

Check our OnOff Widgets Pack.

30. fourlizards
    11:38 PM on September 22nd, 2010

Will this widget be updated to work with Android 2.2 on the Droid X?

Thanks.

31. Paparrazzi
    2:22 AM on September 23rd, 2010

Not working on Hero HTC with 2.1 update 1 firmware. Software 2.27.651.6
    Acts as a shortcut to GPS setting but the widget never shows on or off. This did work before I flashed the new update and the old widget.
    Bluetooth, Wi Fi, Silent Mode, Moblie APN all work fine so far.

32. Connie Lea
    12:42 AM on October 6th, 2010

Force closes every time it’s touched :-(

Vladimir Baryshnikov Reply:

Probably you upgraded android recently. It’s some thing changed in api. I will fix it soon. If you don’t want to wait check our OnOff Widgets Pack.

33. Racker
    1:29 PM on October 21st, 2010

Tried this one on my Desire v2.2 and it force close every time. I found one on market, newer version (2.2 I think) but this one is not one click. I opens GPS settings. However if I use default GSP icon from HTC I can enable disable GPS with only one click so I think it is not necessary to have rooted phone like stated in release notes for this widget. Any way to make it one click?

Thank you.

Vladimir Baryshnikov Reply:

Yes, check our OnOff Widgets pack.

34. Matzi
    2:40 PM on November 12th, 2010

on/off 1 click dosn´t work with root and froyo 2.2

35. WH_WH
    12:41 PM on December 1st, 2010

Hi,
    I have GPS On/Off installed on my HTC Desire HD, then drag it to one of the home screen page. Recently, it shows that there is an update available. Update goes successfully, but the GPS On/Off icon change to “problem loading” instead.
    I removed the app and re-installed, but it is not available in the application list anymore.

WH_WH Reply:

Please ignore, I found the answer to it. App != Widget. ^^

Vladimir Baryshnikov Reply:

Make sure the app is installed then add it to the home screen. Remove old widget with label saying “Problem Loading”

36. Burkingshaw
    2:23 AM on December 10th, 2010

Motorola Droid X – for battery management i really wish your sattellite on/off app would work such that the on would apply when i set the phone in its car cradle, and would turn off when i removed it. The car cradle includes a power cord, so power on when power is input and off when not. … so i don’t even have to push the swithch.

37. Alarm System
    9:05 PM on December 13th, 2010

GPS is really a heaven sent gadget, you can always pinpoint your exact location wherever you are *”‘

38. Viktor Bresan
    3:31 PM on January 3rd, 2011

Download link is broken.

39. mortelrdv0012
    8:18 PM on January 19th, 2011

the widget do not update when i do on/off in the parameter menu or when i use “Quick Settings”

40. mortel
    9:51 PM on January 20th, 2011

The status is not change/update when i on/off gps by another appli !!

41. Jocke
    4:16 PM on January 30th, 2011

Hey! I’ve downloaded some of the on/off widgets but the GPS-widget doesn’t work with my Google Nexus S.
    I can only click it one time and the indicator turns green but the GPS is not turned on and after that I can’t click the icon.

But the Bluetooth- and Wifi-widget is working fine with the Nexus S.

Vladimir Baryshnikov Reply:

Hi. I will check what I can do. GPS doesn’t have open api like bluetooth and wifi, so it always a trick to make it works.

42. Chris
    8:40 PM on June 11th, 2011

Does not repond correctly with profile setting of “Setting Profiles Lite”

43. Pshemo
    9:22 AM on July 28th, 2011

Doesn’t work on LG P970. Android 2.2. After switching on it turns green but GPS stayes disabled. After that it is imposible to switch the witget off.

Plz fix it, I love all your other witgets and I want this one as well :) (rest is working great)

44. van44m
    12:17 AM on August 20th, 2011

I think your GPS OnOff widget is excellent. It is just what I was looking for. It would be great if it could also:
    1. Update its icon to show if GPS is really On or Off in case another app turned it On or Off. The Power Control widget correctly shows if GPS is On or Off.
    2. Change something on your icon to show that not only is the GPS On but it has a location fix and is now usable.

45. Mike
    3:33 PM on November 19th, 2011

Hi,I found that GPS OnOff is not working on SE Xperia Mini A2.3.4 and unfortunately I am not alone…please let me know if you want to update it for us. Many thanks.

46. dbareis
    3:31 AM on January 2nd, 2012

Hi, just an FYI that I’ve used your app on 4 different Android phones and its always worked well however it doesn’t work at all on ICS (Android 4 on Samsung Galaxy Nexus). I am not monitoring this blog for responses.

47. Alex
    7:47 PM on January 9th, 2012

Doesn’t work on Samsung GT-I9100 android 2.3.5
    The widget shows that GPS is included, but actually it not so (in options shows it is switched off) and if on widget to press repeatedly it doesn’t react any more, i.e. doesn’t translate the switch…

48. Ishihara
    9:27 AM on March 9th, 2012

While I like your OnOff Widgets Pack very much, I have two issues to propose you.
    (1) Problem on GPS
    I have one problem with the GPS OnOff that does not work at all on my Sony Ericsson XPERIA (ACRO model distributed in Japan). Please be requested to update the OnOff Widgets Pack fixing the problem of GPS.
    The current GPS OnOff – free version- (one-click mode version,[ v1.3.0] does not work at all, and the switch does not even change to ‘on’ or ‘off’ on my XPERIA.
    But, your GPS OnOff [v1.0.2] – free version- works as a short cut.)
    But the problem is that I cannot select the skin for this GPS OnOff -free version-.
    Therefore, one idea is to add the GPS OnOff [v1.0.2 version] into the Widgets Pack.

(2) Request for black and white skins
    I believe one of the advantages of your OnOff widgets is its nice design.
    To make it more attractive, I propose you to design a skin colored in black and white (namely, a monotone version without blue, green, red, or yellow colors) This version shall be very cool for the modern people who likes chic design.
    Some of the ideas to design a ‘black and white skin’ are as follows:
    1) to change the ‘blue’ color of the “Default OnOff Skin” to ‘Black’
    2) to release a “Power Control White Skin”
    namely, (i) to change the ‘green’ color of the “Power Control Green Skin” to ‘white’
    or, (ii) to change the ‘blue’ color of the “Power Control Blue Skin” to ‘white’

In addition, it is also nice to have a “Power Control Red Skin”, because ‘Red’ is a color that gives sharp image.

49. Klaus Himmler
    10:40 PM on March 13th, 2012

i was using the GPS on-off toggle widget, nice. but since android updates to Ice-cream Sandwich O/S, the toggle works, but it doesn’t “flick” on the gps..doesn’t even go to the settings. Currently just installed v1.0.2, it takes me to the settings..

I want the 2.1 version to Toggle the GPS on/off like it did before with FROYO OS
    this website SHOWS 1.30, but does NOT have a download option, it only downloads the November 30, 2010 Version:2.1.0–which doesn’t work..at all
    i have your other widgets that work like a charm,WiFi,auto-sync,Bluetooth..no issues with them
    my specs:
    Samsung Galaxy Prevail by Boost Mobile (aka-sprint)
    Rooted: YES
    CTMOD:3.2
    KK version: 1.2
    like i said, ever other widget, app works great…just the GPS doesnt anymore..since updated to ICS o/s–even unrooted my phone back to boost, and it still wasnt working…so its the app for sure.
    please fix…had like 6 of my friends get the donated versions.
    thanks.

50. Steve
    6:20 PM on April 7th, 2012

Hi, GPS toggle doesn’t work on HTC Sensation with Android 4 (ICS)

51. Skip
    8:18 PM on April 29th, 2012

Gps On/Off widget does not work with gingerbread. Is there a fix or update? Thanks

52. Paul Jones
    9:52 PM on May 18th, 2012

I love the CurveFish toggle widgets and have been using them for years on different Android phones. I just upgraded my T-Mobile HTC Sensation to Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3 with HTC Sense 3.6, and now GPS On-Off is not working. The GPS widget icon changes from red to green, but does not actually change the internal “GPS satellites” setting. I can turn GPS on and off using Settings > Location > GPS satellites, but the toggle was so convenient The other widgets Bluetooth/Wi-Fi/AutoSync/AutoRotate On-Off are still working fine on ICS.

Hi Paul.

GPS is closed in android for 3dparty apps. For older versions we found a way to change it. Now it fixed in ics, so right now we can’t toggle it until we figure out a new way.

Harold Reply:

Even for rooted phones ?

53. Wayne
    7:00 PM on June 24th, 2012

Just upgraded my Droid RAZR to Android 4.0 and your GPS widget no longer works. It worked great with Android 2. Your other apps ie WiFi, silent mode and bluetooth are all working fine with 4.o. It’s just the GPS widget.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

54. Mile
    5:13 PM on June 26th, 2012

The GPS widget stopped working for me after the last Android update. I am using HTC G2 running Android 2.3.4. I can click the widget and it turns off on the screen but doesn’t actually turn off GPS. Also when I click again on the widget it wont go back to on. Uninstalled and reinstalled and still have the same issue.

55. ormembar
    9:12 AM on July 4th, 2012

Thanks for this switch. It works fine on my Desire HD. Unfortunatly it does not work on my EeePad Transformer.

56. Drew
    9:38 AM on July 9th, 2012

Widget stopped toggling (working) once I updated to Android 4.0 (ICS). I have several other Curvefish widgets. All others seem to be working fine after update. Please fix. I miss this app. Please email once fixed. Thank you.
    Motorola Droid Razr – 4.0 (ICS)

57. Hendrik
    6:25 PM on October 16th, 2012

Hi Vladimir, When are you going to update this widget to 4.1? I see that once I switch GPS Off I have to restart my SIII to get it on again.

58. shiva
    12:44 PM on November 1st, 2012

The app will only toggle the gs state once. Then I have to go back into the sys settings to enable/disable gps. Again when I am back on home scr, I can toggle using the app. Please see if it can be fixed.
    I am mostly using it as a shortcut to get to sys settings by touching the lable (that is indeed a good feature by itself)
    SGS-2-I9100G. ICS 4.0.4

59. Peter
    6:24 AM on January 5th, 2013

Hello, the GPS widget doesn’t work; using a Moto Razr droid v 4.0.4.

60. Rune
    4:40 PM on January 26th, 2013

As Drew said – This widget doesn’t work with Android 4.x.
    Other widgets go into the GPS-menu, and other widgets says that they need root-access to make “one-click-on/off”.

I miss this widget – all the other alternatives isn’t wery good. At all!

61. Hans
    5:23 PM on March 11th, 2013

So sad… other widgets are great, but this one fails (on Galaxy SII)

62. artsh
    8:41 AM on July 29th, 2013

Hi. Widget stop working after upgrade to android 4.3. With 4.2.2 everything was ok. (Lg nexus 4).

63. CaptainN
    2:23 PM on August 1st, 2013

Hello, the GPS widget doesn’t work; using a Nexus 4 Android v 4.3

64. Harold
    12:02 PM on October 8th, 2013

Hi
    GPS Widget not working on Google LG Nexus 4.
    It’s really a shame since the whole widget suite is really good.
    Can we expect a fix ?
    Otherwise I’ll need to find a whole other suite for widget.
    BR.

Harold Reply:

Small precision: I know it can’t be done on Android 4.3 without root, but I guess it may be corrected for rooted phones ?

65. Bal
    3:26 AM on December 1st, 2013

GPS widget on/off toggling doesn’t work with Nexus 5

66. Steve Travis
    10:16 AM on December 13th, 2013

I just installed the GPS on/off switch and it does not work. I have the Samsung Galaxy 2 (t989) running Jelly Bean 4.1.2 I am willing to pay for a working app/widget! It’s a great idea that saves alot time when needed. I’m pretty sure you can get .99, if not 1.99! I will be waiting anxiously for a working version.